Tuesday 29 May 2012

Lease of Life

Written in May 2012, the month I decided to start making a conscious effort to write more again.

Lease of Life

Darkness dominates the tempestuous sky
As I prepare to face another wordless day
I grind my teeth, slice open another vein,
Wistful, I dream of another way

I tear the page with silent screams,
Not a single word will spill from this pen
The entire world becomes a stage,
It plays with the hearts of men

In my hand liquid swirls inside the glass,
A whirlpool of dejection and remorse
The surface disturbed by a single splash,
A solitary tear its fateful source

Somewhere distant a bird begins to sing
As I raise my head from the ground below
The beat of my heart in time with the song,
The winds of creativity begin to blow

Dark clouds shaken, torn from the sky
Rays of frantic hope illuminate the land
The intensity builds, I have been reborn,
Once more these words I shall command

A soft smile flutters across my face,
The glass of woe replaced by the pen
That dreadful wound begins to close,
I shall craft these words once again

© Ben Johnson 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment