Monday 28 February 2011

Beloved

I'll start with a poem that I wrote last Valentine's Day for someone very close to me. Like all my poetry I don't consider it anything special; but perhaps it's the thought that counts.

Beloved

Days of happiness,
Lost unto the winter winds,
They can be reclaimed.


Never before have I struggled with the words I should say,
Yet your dashing, dazzling eyes make me stutter and sway.
My feelings for you are so devotedly beyond compare,
As I run my hands through your soft, serene hair.

Delightful days; when I’m with you it’s time well spent,
My senses often overwhelmed by your stunning scent.
Though when you‘re not here, a piece of me brutally breaks,
It splits, shatters and separates the love from my mistakes.

You feel so confused, cluttered and you’re wondering why,
I stumble, I stammer, dither and doubt; I have no reply.
You’re persistent, patient, wordlessly waiting for me,
To decide decisively, where I truly want to be.

I’m befuddled, bewildered, perturbed and perplexed;
I sit here and write, contemplating what to do next.
I picture your face frequently, your beauty divine,
I wish to myself, that you can forever be mine.

I remember those delicious, delicate kisses we shared,
In them meagre moments, I was entranced, ensnared.
A realisation, deep down in the depths of my heart,
That we should be together; for eternity, never apart.

On the 14th of February; a day of romance, affection and love,
Cupid will laugh and sing, shooting arrows from the clouds above.
The angels will play on harmonious harps; a sweet song for you,
Marvellous melodies, whispering my potent love thereto.

An everlasting love that shall never fade nor wither,
As I repeatedly reminisce, I uncontrollably shake and quiver.
And on that day, as our hearts beat quicker in time; will you be mine,

My Valentine.

© Ben Johnson 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment